When was the last time you actually listened to someone talking to you? I mean really listening; not thinking about what you can say to whatever it is they are saying?
When was the last time you allowed your mind to completely go blank and when someone asks what you are thinking, you can simply say “nothing…I’m just being”…?
Or how about this…when was the last time you got lost in the moment and that very moment was all that mattered to you?
Some of us don’t experience the art of being. I think that is a sad way to live your life. In my humble opinion, when you don’t live from a mindful experience, you merely exist, not living.
Meditation, as you all probably know by now, is my medication. If I go more than two days without meditating, I feel it BIG TIME!
It helps me to slow down. It helps me to hear my intuition a lot clearer when it is telling me to slow down and just BE! It helps me to be more mindful.
“So Free, you’ve got me interested in this whole mindful shit…what can I do to become more mindful then?”
I am so glad you asked… (Or at least I think you asked; it could be the people in my head tricking me again).
Here is a list of things to begin to do if you want to become more mindful:
- Don’t believe every thought that you think. Some of your thoughts are complete liars. Don’t take them too seriously.
- Process your emotions. Take time to understand why you feel a certain way. Don’t avoid or deny them. Simply understand why they are there and work with them.
- Begin to learn the art of detachment. People, situations, feelings, pretty much anything and everything comes and go. Breathe and enjoy the moment you have them in your life.
- Slow down on your to-do list. Begin to take one task at a time. When we are always multi-tasking, we fail to give our complete attention to each thing because we are thinking about what to do next.
- Become curious. Curiosity didn’t actually kill the cat, it intrigues our feline friends. Wonder, wander, explore and go on an adventure in your world. Take it all in…the beauty, the sights, the sounds, the wonders of it all.
- Become a mindful eater. This is a wonderful “weight loss” life hack. Sometimes we eat when we are not actually hungry or we eat too fast and never get to taste our food. Enjoy and savor every bite and stop when you are done.
- Become a mindful reader. Take a pause whenever you read something that is profound to you. Actually take in the information and let it marinate in your brain. Reading is fundamental…it is Fun-for-da-mental.
- “Gimme a break.” Learn to take breaks, already. If you are powering through your day, it is highly recommended to take a breather. The mini break will help you to have more clarity and insight on the matter at hand.
- Laughter is good for the soul; it is even better when you learn to laugh at and by yourself. I am one of the funniest people I have ever known. I love to laugh at myself (especially when I wake up in the morning and see my reflection in the bathroom mirror).
- Challenge what you are being taught. If it doesn’t feel right to you, why do it? There are a lot of chickens in the chicken coop and not enough eagles. Yes, there are rules you must obey if you don’t want to face the consequences, but if you aren’t breaking any rules…who says that you HAVE to wear the right sock on the right foot? Put it on the left if it feels good to your soul.
***Bonus Tip: MEDITATE!!*** (I’m telling ya, it works)
This is a short list of what I like to do to practice the habit of being mindful. If you like these and/or are willing to try them out, please let me know how they work for you.
Love, Light, & Magick!