I can remember a time where I absolutely hated almost everything about myself.
Big Nose. Skinny Minnie. “Nappy” Hair. Not-so-straight teeth which gave way to a very awkward smile. Flat Ass (Hey, I am a black woman and supposedly we all are supposed to have “big butts and I cannot lie…”)
The list can go on and on.
Learning to love myself became a process, but I know one thing for sure, I have grown to love myself more and the love continues to grow still today.
Don’t get me wrong, I still have my ups and downs about my body image, (as a lot of us do) but I appreciate myself, my body, my entire being a whole lot more now.
Self-love is a verb. What that means is that you need to do things for yourself to make yourself feel loved by…YOU.
Here are a few things that you can do to devote yourself to more self-love this year:
- Keep an Open Mind– Read more. Talk to strangers. Seek out new ideas, beliefs, and concepts that you did not know before. When you do this, it keeps you open, which in turn will help add character to you and your life.
- Forgive Yourself– We have all made and will continue to keep making mistakes. Mistakes are simply chances that we took that didn’t turn out so well. Hopefully, you realize that you made a mistake, learned from it, and moved on. It is when we stay in that guilt and regret that we tear ourselves down. Begin to life yourself up by telling yourself that you were only doing the best you could with what you knew at the time.
- Treat Yourself to Something Good– So many people feel guilty about this step because you are allowing yourself to indulge. It’s time to stop allowing guilt to keep you locked up. Buy yourself your favorite kind of flowers. Take a nice, hot bath with some fruit, milk and honey, or flowers. Buy that sexy outfit. Wear a bold colored lipstick. Take a vacation or a stay-cation. Go get a massage, a manicure, a pedicure, or all three. Do what feels good to your soul.
- Audit your Lifestyle Choices– Whenever you make a change, you must alter the way you do things. It’s a lifestyle change for a reason, because you want it to be something set and not temporary. Is it time to break any unhealthy habits that isn’t helping your health or your wallet? Take stock of your life and see what is working for you and what isn’t. Let go of things and people who no longer serve you and fill those voids with something healthy.
- Find Your People– Your vibe attracts your tribe! We are social creatures. We were not made to be and do things alone. We need that connection; it is what makes our world go ‘round. Seek out people that has like energy that you have and/or the energy that you want to be like. Network for personal reasons. Throw out some feelers and see what you catch. Howl at the moon to let your pack know where you are.
- Be Still– Meditation is my medication. There are a lot of people out there who cannot, will not, and do not like to sit still. That is okay. Try walking or other guided meditations. Still doesn’t intrigue you? Engage yourself in an activity that makes your “monkey mind” shut up for a moment. The way that you will know that you finally got it to quiet down, is that you tend to lose track of time. The point of the matter here is to get still enough to hear the small voice that sits in your heart that is ready to guide you forward and upward.
- Movement– Move that body! Your body is yours and it is imperative that you move it and find out the ways that it loves to move. For some, that could be lifting heavy weights. For others, it could mean a casual stroll around the neighborhood. For another individual, they might like to dance to the beat of their own drum. It really doesn’t matter what you do, as long as you move that stagnant energy that is a result of laziness and turn it into good energy that will release those good-feelin’ endorphins.
- Rewrite The Play Called ‘Your Life’– Would you get out of the backseat and jump into the driver’s seat when it comes to your life, please? Take control! Your life is like a choose-your-own-ending book and you get to choose which path you wish to take. Not your mama, daddy, auntie, uncle, or anybody else that is outside of you. Learn the art of manifestation. Rather or not you believe in it, you are manifesting right now. Why not manifest an amazing life?
Whatever you choose to do to begin to love yourself, make sure you are doing it for you. Remember to take it easy and be gentle with yourself. It won’t happen overnight, but don’t let that deter you from making some life changes.
The best time of your life is ready to happen; Self-Love is the key to get there.